Oct 15, 2005

Saturday the 15th of October: La Linda …Salta

After waking up, walking outside, walking into my bathroom and taking a shower, going to breakfast I thought it would be nice to walk around a bit. I went to an internet shop to post some pictures, and sat down at the main square for a cup of coffee. For people who love coffee, the coffee over here is pretty good, and especially the con leche (San: heel veel schuim, heerlijk) There are a lot of kids walking around here asking for money and trying to sell stuff to you. I think I sat down for an hour, and saw at least 10 people at my table. Bit irritating, especially as No thank you did not work and not looking up as well….

After the coffee I went back to the hotel to change cloths. Although you wouldn’t say it when you see the pictures, it is pretty warm over here and I decided to wear a dress (the brown one, not the red one) This morning I noticed the cable train (not really a train, more little cabins, like you have also in snowy areas)) and I thought it would be nice to go up the hill. I guess the people who know me a bit already can start laughing, because they know I am a bit afraid of heights…..Years back, while travelling with my sister and mother, I kind of turned nuts when they tried to get me in this cablething in Barcelona… and now I know that was a very good decision not to get in. The moment I got in and the cabin started moving I already wanted out, and the higher we went up the more I wished I had never gotten in this thing. I had some relaxed moments while taking some pictures, but then we went of this pillars and I started to freak out again. I even closed my eyes a few ties. The view was actually excellent, but ok. As soon as I was up the mountain I bought an ice-cream and started to walk around. I had to losen up the muscles again. Off course some little voice in the back of my head told me I had to get down as well. After taking some pictures of Salta seen from above, I went down again. While I was standing up there, I thought the way back would kill me, but as I got in it wasn’t that bad. More like flying, looking down. Only the bit steeper parts were a bit irritating and the movements because of the wind (where did that come from, going up there was no wind)

Down again I went for lunch (three o’clock, I am getting used to have meals at strange times) The kids asking for money and food were even worse this time. They were really coming close, touching you and almost picking the food of my table. If they would have just asked I would have given, but I just don´t like it when they go touching me.
Around four I got back on my feet to do some more walking. Salta is still a pretty big city, but only downtown is really interesting.

It is funny though how different the people look here compared to Buenos Aires. In Buenos Aires a lot of them could be tourist, here in Salta I really feel a tourist, because most peoples skins are coloured...



Tonight I will only go out for dinner. The tour will leave tomorrow at 6 am and I have to be there at 5.50 am. Crazy. Luckily it is around the corner. I will be back at eight, and maybe I have some time to write down some story and post some pictures

Chao

No comments: