Jun 2, 2005

English update: Dutch vote against European Constitution

From the beginning the sounds against the European constitution were loud. But as soon as the words of our “democratic” politicians started to sound like a threat, the NO campaign won votes. Ministers started to tell that the people who wanted to vote against better could stay home, that in a year we would have to vote again and that they would not do a thing with the results if there would be a minority of pro voters. I, personally, have always been against (we did not have to say yes or no, but we had to vote on favor of or against) it. I don’t think it would work, and on top of that they started to threaten us… but I would never have thought that 62.8 percent out of 12 million people would make a walk outside and bring their out their vote. It truly is historical. So is the 61.6 per cent against votes. We really don’t want this now!
Balkenende (our first minister) thinks none of the ministers has to pack his stuff, but what to think of all the ministers who told us to vote yes, because we would regret a no? That is not really a democratic think to do. And as far as I know we are a democracy. I am really curious how long it will take before we can vote again. Not that I know for who I would vote, because the once I am used to vote for did not behave that “good” as well…..

Tomorrow I will have my first “house visit” (I don’t know how to call it) I deciede to buy a house in Amsterdam, because that is way cheaper then renting one. But with the money I make it is pretty hard to find something. Now I found something nice at the other side of Amsterdams’ central station. You have to take a ferry to get there and you can see 9in summer) all the cruise ships coming in. In winter the view over the water will be nice as well. I really hope it will be a nice house, and I hope even more that I will be able to buy it. In the next update I will tell you guys more about it.

Furthermore nothing going on. But more things would probably just stress me out anyway….. talk to you soon!

No comments: